2019–2020 School Year
Instructions for Summer Reading assignment:
- Select any two books in your category to read.
- New, hard copies (i.e. not digital editions) of both books must be purchased for each student.
- The student’s name must be written across the binding of each book.
- Both books must be annotated. (See video link.)
- In September, both books will be checked (with points allotted for annotations), and students will have access to these books during the assessment.
You may purchase summer reading books through Amazon.
Please click the title of the book to be taken to Amazon.com where you may order your books.
Freshman Summer Reading Titles:
- Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl – Frank, Anne
- The Good Earth – Pearl Buck
- Death Be Not Proud – John Gunther
- The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
- I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up For Education and was Shot by the Taliban – Malala Yousafzai
- The Alchemist – Paolo Coelho
- Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
- A Single Shard – Linda Sue Park
Sophomore Summer Reading Titles:
- Cold Mountain – Charles Frazier
- Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
- Martin and Bobby – Claire Rudolph Murphy
- The Things They Carried – Tim O’Brien
- Before We Were Yours – Lisa Wingate
- The Help – Kathryn Stockett
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
Junior Summer Reading Titles:
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings – Maya Angelou
- Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier
- Ordinary People – Judith Guest
- Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
- Maus (volume one only) – Art Spiegelman
Senior Summer Reading Titles:
- Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
- The Storyteller’s Secret – Sejal Badani
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly – Jean-Dominique Bauby and Jeremy Leggatt
- Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion – Father Gregory Boyle
- The Cradle Will Fall – Mary Higgins Clark
- The Border Legion – Zane Grey
- Beneath a Scarlet Sky – Mark T. Sullivan
- Educated – Tara Westover