Kellenberg Memorial's Annual Day of Giving
Ways You Can Share your Gift
Text KMHSDOG to 41444
Some Common Questions
What is a Day of Giving?
- Kellenberg Memorial’s Day of Giving is a 24-hour push for support to bolster the Shepherd’s Fund, which is comprised of annual unrestricted funds that afford our school the opportunity to strengthen a variety of initiatives that directly affect all of our programs each day. Support of the Shepherd’s Fund plays an important role in maintaining Kellenberg Memorial’s modest annual tuition, which is among the lowest on Long Island.
How do I participate in the Day of Giving?
- There are many ways to participate in Kellenberg Memorial’s Day of Giving. You may make a gift in honor of a teacher or coach who has had a great impact on your life, or you may choose to display your Firebird alumni pride by including your class year in your gift amount (for example, a graduate of the Class of 2012 may choose to give $20.12, $200.12, or even a monthly gift of $12!). In many cases, you may even be able to double your impact, as there are over 500 companies across the country that will match their employees’ gifts to elementary and secondary schools. Many companies will match gifts at a greater than one-to-one ratio! Check with your personnel department for more details. Gifts can be made online or via mail (see details below).
Is it safe to make a gift online?
- Yes, it is safe and easy to make a gift online right here. Online payments on behalf of Kellenberg Memorial are processed by Blackbaud. To protect your credit card information, Blackbaud encrypts personal and credit card information during all transactions, as well as sends an automated confirmation email for all transactions.
Can I make my gift by mail?
- Yes. To make a gift by mail, simply send a check made payable to Kellenberg Memorial Shepherd’s Fund to:
- Office of Advancement
Kellenberg Memorial High School
1400 Glenn Curtiss Blvd.
Uniondale, NY 11553
- Office of Advancement
Where does my gift go?
- The Shepherd’s Fund is made up of annual unrestricted funds which afford our school the opportunity to enhance a variety of initiatives that directly affect all of our programs each day. Namely, your generosity will benefit Kellenberg Memorial in the following ways:
- Scholarship Support – Kellenberg Memorial is able to provide academic scholarships and financial assistance, as well as continue to regulate rising tuition costs;
- Technology Enhancements – Technology and classroom resources are enhanced on a regular basis, and the entire student body of over 2,600 has been using the iPad on a 1:1 basis since the 2017-2018 school year;
- Robust Extracurricular Offerings – Students have the ability to participate in a broad range of co-curricular activities, extracurricular activities, interscholastic activities, and athletic teams without any additional cost after tuition;
- Faculty Enrichment – Additional investments in our faculty result in a dedicated lab faculty, enhanced professional development opportunities, and additional resources and staff in college placement;
- Continuous Curriculum Enhancements – Our time-tested liberal arts curriculum continues to expand to include newly added courses in math, science, and engineering, as well as provide additional opportunities for students to earn college credit with local colleges and universities;
- Capital Improvement Projects – As our school community continues to grow, our building and facilities, which celebrated 50 years in 2016 (formerly Maria Regina Diocesan High School and St. Agnes Cathedral High School), are continually undergoing renewal, renovation, and expansion.
What’s the goal of the Day of Giving?
- The goal of the Day of Giving is to inspire the Kellenberg Memorial community to come together in support of the Shepherd’s Fund. Live programming throughout the day highlights current students, parents, clubs, athletic teams, alumni, and Future Firebirds in an effort to show the direct positive impact the Shepherd’s Fund has on the day-to-day operation and continued growth of the school.
Why is the Day of Giving it important?
- The Day of Giving is important because it allows Kellenberg Memorial to bolster the Shepherd’s Fund in an efficient way which utilizes the talents of the school community, while at the same time garnering enthusiasm and appreciation for the philanthropic process among the student body.
THE CARES ACT AND CHARITABLE GIVING
As you may have heard, the U.S. Congress has passed the CARES Act. This act has many facets and also makes certain modifications to help facilitate philanthropic contributions to worthwhile organizations such as Kellenberg Memorial. Some specific provisions of the CARES Act related to charitable giving are referenced below. As always, please consider discussing with your professional tax advisors.
$300 CHARITABLE DEDUCTION FOR ALL
Even if you do not itemize deductions on your taxes, your gift can reduce your 2020 taxable
income by up to $300 ($600 for couples). This is a special benefit for 2020.
100% DEDUCTION ALLOWANCE FOR CASH GIFTS TO CHARITIES
For the 2020 tax year only, individuals may deduct cash gifts up to 100% of their adjusted gross
income (AGI) compared to the typical 60% allowance.
IRA DISTRIBUTIONS FOR DONORS AGE 70½ OR OLDER
Though the required minimum distribution (RMD) is temporarily suspended for 2020, gifts from
an IRA rollover or qualified charitable distribution (QCD) will continue to reduce your taxable
income (up to $100,000), especially if you do not itemize your deductions.